If you’re ever in the Assynt area near Lochinver, check out this all-abilities path, which, as it’s just located off the main road can easily fit in to a multi activity day. The path is well maintained, and nestled in amongst some of the grandest mountains in the area it certainly gives you the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere, without getting your feet too muddy or worrying too much about the state of the path (or lack of, as is the case in many areas).
The path starts at the carpark just off the main road, where you can find information boards and picture boards from the local schools. It then meanders along, passing a couple of lochs, piers, picnic benches and possibly one of the most scenic toilet blocks in the UK before finishing at a view point with stunning views across to the Quinaig.
- Location: Assynt, NW Scotland
- Nearest town: Lochinver
- Length: About a mile
- Level of difficulty: Very well maintained path, level.
- Exposure: There are a couple of little shelters next to the lochans should you need it. Otherwise, it’s quite open.
- What to wear: As always, be prepared for anything and everything.
- Kid friendly: Very family friendly and pushchair friendly too. The all-abilities path is well maintained, there are no steep drops and the length isn’t too awful that most kids should be able to walk it themselves. Also a good length for if you are carrying kids in a back carrier.
- Best time to visit: This is a great walk to do at any time, though be wary during midge season!